Velocity World Play Area Review
Velocity World is a new play area in B.Square Mall, marketed as the only entertainment-based mall in Qatar.
Located in Al Thumama, just off F-Ring Road, B.Square Mall is a fair drive from West Bay, Al Waab and other residential areas, but it’s worth the journey if you’re looking for an uncrowded, quieter play area with activities for all ages. When we visited on a Thursday afternoon, there were only a couple of other children in the soft play areas on the ground floor, and we had the gaming area, with fairground rides on the first floor, to ourselves.
There are two ways to enter Velocity World: from the ground floor next to the soft play area or through the arcade on the first floor.
You could combine a visit to Velocity with a trip to the bowling alley, mini ice rink or cinema at the mall. There are also plenty of shops and food outlets nearby. Java U is particularly convenient, as it’s located on the ground floor, near the soft play and toy shop. The café serves savoury snacks, salads, hot drinks, smoothies, cakes and pastries.
The Velocity snack bar in the gaming area upstairs serves popcorn, sweets and soft drinks. Check out Eli France and The Chemist Café for a more relaxed dining experience. There’s also a SPAR supermarket at the other end of the mall if you need to grab groceries on your way out.
Parents should note that they will need to supervise their children at all times. Parents and nannies can enter the toddler soft play and the Pirate Adventureland soft play for older children. Alternatively, you are able to see Pirate Adventureland clearly from the large hallway, where there are a bench and chairs, so you can sit and watch your kids.
Be aware of safety issues in the mini trampoline area and the gaming area upstairs. The mini trampolines are all in one large area with no barriers in between, although the entire trampoline area is netted. Some of the fairground rides have height restrictions and do not have seatbelts, so you will need to consider if they are appropriate for your child.
Contact: +974 6608-0287, facebook.com/velocityworldqatar
Location: Just off F-Ring Road and Najma Street in Al Thumama
Directions: Follow road signs from Najma Street. B. Square Mall is on Google Maps but, at the time of writing, the road leading directly there is not mapped
- From F-Ring Road, driving towards the airport, take the Al Thumama Exit
- Turn right onto Najma Street
- Turn right again following signs to B.Square Mall
- B.Square Mall is on the right, after the American Academy
Parking: There is plenty of parking, including basement parking, available at B.Square Mall. Park outside Java U or the toy shop next door, on the right as you enter the car park, for easy access
Nearby landmarks: American Academy, Kahramaa Compound
Activities: Soft play areas, Mini trampolines, Gaming area with electronic arcade games and mini fairground rides, Birthday parties (available on request for an additional charge)
Play area basics:
- Baby and toddler soft play area with padded floor, ball pit and mini slides
- Pirate Adventureland, a soft play area for three to 12-year-olds, is a large multi-storey netted play area that includes a ball pit and soft punching bags. The levels are connected by slides and ladders
- Electronic arcade games in the spacious gaming area, on the first floor, should keep older children happy. Younger children will enjoy the mini fairground rides in the same area, but be aware that the games are very noisy and children should be supervised, especially at busy times
Accessibility: B.Square Mall is accessible to wheelchairs with ground floor direct access and elevators. However, the soft play areas, mini trampolines and mini fairground rides may not be suitable for wheelchair users. The arcade game area upstairs is spacious, but many of the activities are not accessible. Each bathroom has a dedicated wheelchair-accessible toilet room
Hours: Saturday to Wednesday 10:00–22:00, Thursday and Friday 10:00–23:00
Fees: Free to enter Velocity, but all games and activities (various charges) must be paid for by Velocity card. Rechargeable cards start at QR 50. Per hour, the baby and toddler soft play costs QR 15 and Pirate Adventureland costs QR 25
Ages: All ages, however, individual play areas, rides and some games have age and height restrictions
Food and beverages: There is a snack bar upstairs next to the arcade game area and many other options in the mall including Java U
Toilet facilities: Toilets are located in the mall on the ground floor near the entrance to Velocity. There are baby-changing facilities in the ladies’ bathroom inside the wheelchair-accessible toilet room
Dress code: No specific dress code but please dress conservatively to respect local culture
Doha Family Tips
- If you want to avoid a trip to the Velocity toy shop, enter the mall through Java U or the main entrance
- Check out deals for the Velocity card before you buy. For Mother’s Day, they offered two hours of play area access, coffee and cake from Java U and fresh flowers all for QR 50 (purchasable only at Java U)
- Children’s parties can be arranged at Velocity by the supervisor, Sara Wietrzyk (+974 6608-0287 or email@example.com). Packages include Baby Speedy for ten children (QR 999), Mini Speedy for 20 children (QR 1699) and Junior Speedy for 30 children (QR 2999), with a 20 per cent discount for weekday bookings