Drowning Is Not What You Think
How to recognise if someone is drowning.
Someone who is drowning:
- Cannot call for help
- Does not wave their arms for help
- May not reach for rescue equipment
- Stays afloat for only 20-60 seconds before sinking and they might look ok at first glance
- Sometimes sinks to the bottom immediately
- Happens quickly and quietly
- Is not dramatic
- Generally occurs within 25 yards of other people
- Is the third leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide
But it CAN be prevented.
This article is courtesy of Qatar International Sports Services www.qiss.qa.