Situated approximately 45 km north of Doha, Simaisma Beach is one of the most convenient and popular of Qatar's family beaches.
If you go to Simaisma expecting to sit on soft, golden sand watching your kids splash around in the water just a few meters in front of you, you will be disappointed. The sea is quite a distance from the beach, especially at low tide, and the shallow water extends for a good 100 m before getting deep enough for swimming.
Nevertheless, this beach is a great place to come and blow away the cobwebs. Budding explorers, nature-lovers and bird-watchers will enjoy exploring the mangroves (on your left as you face the sea)—a rare example of natural greenery and wildlife in Qatar.
As would be expected in a mangrove-friendly area the texture of the sand is muddy and slippery. Not so good for building sand castles, but if you're comfortable with messy play, your kids will have oodles of fun covering themselves in mucky, squidgy sand—a great sensory experience!
All said and done, a morning at Simaisma Beach is a thoroughly enjoyable family outing. It has all the facilities you need to make for a hassle-free family day out: toilets, shaded areas, playgrounds, a soccer pitch and food and drink outlets (in the village, not on the beach).
Active kids will love being set loose on the three playgrounds and having the freedom to run around in a wide, open space, kick a ball, explore the mangroves and have fun.
Nearby landmarks: Simaisma Park, Old Simaisma Mosque
Parking: In front of the beach, next to a playground and toilet facilities
Doha Family tips
- We went on a Friday morning and found it very peaceful and family-friendly.
- Bring a change of clothes just in case your kids get mucky on the beach!
- Leave the bucket and spade at home—the sand is not so good for making sand castles.
- None of the three playgrounds are shaded, so be sure to bring sun hats and sunscreen.
- There is some shade on the beach in the form of wooden gazebos and umbrellas. However if you go at busy times such as a weekend afternoon, take your own shade, as you may have trouble finding a spot.
- Fancy a BBQ on the beach? Bring your own charcoal and grill up on one of the brick BBQ facilities.
- Fancy a spot of fishing? Cast your line off the short causeway, which extends into the sea behind the mangroves.
- Make a day of it and visit the beautifully green and well-equipped family park situated right next to the beach. You could also visit Old Simaisma Mosque—one of the oldest mosques in Qatar—situated right on the beach.
Food and beverages: Yes
Nearby mosque: Yes
- Take the Al Khor Rd out of Doha.
- Approximately 10 min north of the Lusail International Race Circuit, take a right turn at the first major junction—the Simaisma Overpass.
- Follow the road straight for 2.5 km.
- You will see a fairly large village in front of you—this is Simaisma.
- Go straight at the first and second roundabout.
- Drive in the direction of the sea and turn left into the car park at the beach.